Gmail is one of the most dominant email service provided by Google. Gmail has a humongous number of users using Gmail all the time for various different purposes. All these purposes include using text for sending emails. And if text is so important in sending and receiving emails via Gmail or any other emailing service. That in turn, makes text formatting an essential asset for the users. It really makes an impact, not really but virtually. A proper formatted text with the same content as for the unformatted one has more impact on the receiver and automatically is in more demand. The need of text formatting is growing day by day. Basic text formatting skills are must for anyone who works online. So, here in this tutorial, we will be covering basic text editing skills like make a text strikethrough in Gmail and other tricks.
We all know Gmail, Google Docs and Sheets work on the same platform, so most of the methods work on all of these, so learning once does the job for you. Apart from strikethrough, we’ll be showing you other tricks like making the text bold or highlighted. So stay tuned and go through the whole article.
Strikethrough Text in Gmail
On other text editors like MS Word, etc., it’s pretty simple to strikethrough a text, but it’s not that easy on Gmail. Basically the current version of Gmail doesn’t support this feature. Although we don’t strikethrough a text very often, but sometimes it is required to make the impact and thus is an important skill to learn. By following the given steps, you will be able to strikethrough text in Gmail: –
- Login into Google Docs with your Google Account.
- Create a new Document and start typing.
- Now go to the text you wish to strikethrough and select that text.
- Select Format option.
- There select Strikethrough.
- Now copy the text into the Gmail.
As long as you haven’t set Gmail to send Plain Text Only, this method works.
Bold Text in Gmail
Bolding text has its own advantage. It makes the text look stand among the whole lot of content. It draws special attention, puts emphasis on the selected text, easy to find, etc. By following these steps, you will be able to make your piece of text look bold.
- Open Gmail.
- Select Compose.
- Select the Underlined A, next to Send at the bottom toolbar to go through text options.
- Now select the piece of text you want to bold.
- Select B in the window.
You can do the same by selecting the desired text and pressing Ctrl + B.
Highlight Text in Gmail
Well this is a very seldom used text formatting option on the Gmail, but sometimes it is required for official purposes. Here is the way to do the trick: –
- Open Gmail.
- Go to Compose.
- Select the desired text to be highlighted in the Compose window.
- Select the underlined A next to Send at the bottom toolbar to open text options.
- Select the underlined A in the popup bar to select the highlighting colour.
- Pick the desired colour for background from the left side and select it.
This method changes the background colour of the text while the panel at the right side changes the text colour. You can select either of the two or both of the two options if you wish to.
Nowadays the problem of spamming and junk mails is very common for email users. People get tonnes of spam emails on a daily basis which usually fills the inbox with crappy emails and junk ones. If you wish to unsubscribe from these emails or any of the email you are subscribed to, you can search for the email in the search option and unsubscribe it, but it gets way messy, so Google made this easy for you.
- Open the email in Gmail.
- At the top, you will find Unsubscribe link by the sender, Select it.
- You will be unsubscribed from the sender.
Enable Gmail Preview
Much like Outlook, Gmail also has a preview option that lets you have a preview of the email before opening it. You can see what it contains and you can also avoid triggering reply receipts and other malware and phishing links contained in the email.
To trigger Gmail Preview, you can try these steps out: –
- Open Gmail.
- Select settings on the right side.
- Select Labs tab.
- There you will see the preview lab, enable it.
- Click on the Save button at the bottom of the page to save these settings.
- Now, reach back to your inbox and use the flagged icon to enable preview.
This lets you to preview emails just like the scan feature does in Outlook.
These were some of the easiest and the basic ways to format text and increase the usability of your Gmail account. Hope you liked it. If you know any more of these and other ways to do these, please do leave a comment.